Regardless of your age, there are some DIY projects that can bring some fun to your wardrobe, for example, the patchwork denim. Personalized denim is having a moment right now, but what I like about it is that there's a little bit of nostalgia associated with this trend; think about the 1960's-70's hippy denim jackets or even the Girl Scout uniforms.
A while back I started collecting patches, some represent things I love, activities I have done and some facts about my life and beliefs. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to attach them on my Gap Icon denim jacket. I also bought new ones from Ebay and Etsy to complete my collection. I must confess, I hate to work with needles and threads, therefore the iron-on patches came in more than handy for me. My vintage patches were glued as well, but with a fabric glue that I found at my local Walmart. All the patches are holding up pretty well so far, but I know that eventually I will have to sew them on before I wash the jacket again, but for now, I'm buying time until I find someone that will do it for me.
Today I'm wearing:
Denim jacket: Gap. Buy here and darker wash here.
T-shirt: J. Crew
Jeans: NYDJ. Regular sizes available here (up to size 18) and tall here.
Shoes: Marni. One size left here.
Bag: Valentino. Buy here.
Sunglasses: Valentino. (sold out) See the black version here.
Hat: Goorin Brothers. (I bought it in New Orleans a while back) See similar here.
Personal facts in this patched denim jacket:
-I love a good cigar, mainly around Spring time.
-I can eat spicy tacos everyday
-Hiking is one of my favorite outdoor activities
-Movie and pizza is happening almost every Monday night in my house
-One of my favorite toys is our Jeep Wrangler
-If the state of North Carolina would let me to have a monkey, I would have three.
- I'm proud of my Honda Accord and Jeep Wrangler (both very practical vehicles)
- I like fashion (obviously)
- Matchbox 20 (Rob Thomas) favorite band/musician.
- If the weather permitted, I could picnic every day after a hike
- I'm of Mayan descent and my favorite fish is trout, and I would let one drive my green Jeep...lol
- Back in the 70's, (I was a very little girl) my dad used work for the ESSO (now, Exxon) and I used
to love the look and sound of those huge Mack and Kenworth trucks. I felt like they were space
ships from another planet. Sweet childhood memories when life was simple. For the record, I still
stare at those huge transfer trucks going down the highway lol.
- John 3:16 is my favorite Bible verse.
- I love the USA!
- I'm Honduran
- My favorite city in the USA is New Orleans (I have family there)
- My favorite bird is the Red Cardinal and it's also the North Carolina state bird.
- I'm a HUGE Philadelphia Eagles fan (GO EAGLES!)
- My sweet dog name is Elvis
- I'm a coffee addict
- ET is my favorite movie, EVER.
- College football? ...I'm a MSU fan.
- Snow shoeing is the next outdoor activity that I'm dying to do (next winter for sure)
- I was born in 1971
- Women in construction patch? My life is a work in progress.
And more facts:
- I'm a proud mother of two sons of the age of 27 and 20.
- My favorite beer so far is from Founders Brewery, located in Grand Rapids, MI.
- Love snow play and now, I'm hooked with snow tubing.
- My boys and I love IRON MAN!
My patched denim jacket is a work in progress, maybe next time you will see more patches added to the collection. By the way, vintage (non-iron) patches are by far better in quality and they stay put pretty good when using fabric glue.
Ok, I hope you liked my jacket and maybe you feel like making one yourself or you can buy one already made. I personally like the idea of wearing a jacket with patches that have a meaning to me. No?
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and DON'T FORGET TO ENTER A GOLD NECKLACE GIVEAWAY HERE!!!
Here below are some suggestions of already made patched denim jackets and white flare jeans: